Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Jesus & Natural Selection

I have been studying Psalm 8 recently in preparation for a message at church. One thing that I noticed is the desire God has to bless and lift up the weak and the humble. He ordains praise for little children while prideful Ivy League professors, by and large, are blinded to His wonders. (1 Cor. 1:18-31) He is mindful of sinful man and cares for the son of man (literally "adam" - one made of dust), but He sits far off from the proud. To people who exult in their own foolish pride, like Nebuchadnezzar, (Daniel 4) He makes more animal-like and machine-like, incapable of wonderous delight in anything bigger than themselves.

Charles Darwin himself said, "Up to the age of 30 or beyond it, poetry of many kinds... gave me great pleasure, and even as a schoolboy I took intese delight in Shakespeare...Formerly pictures gave me considerable, and music very great, delight. but now for many years I cannot endure to read a line of poetry: I have tried Shakespeare, and found it so intolerably dull that it nauseated me. I have also almost lost any taste for pictures or music... I retain some taste for fine scenery, but it does not cause me the exquisite delight which it formerly did... My mind seems to have become a kind of machine for grinding laws out of large collections of facts..."

As I watched, "Darwin's Deadly Legacy" today I wasn't surprised to learn the following:

Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 12 people and themselves in the worst school shooting in US history up that time. Their goal was to bring death to more than 500. Harris wrote on his website, "YOU KNOW WHAT I LOVE??? Natural SELECTION. It's the best thing that ever happened to the Earth. Getting rid of all the stupid and weak organisms."[59]

The autopsy report for Harris revealed that on the day of the attack, he wore a T-shirt emblazoned with the words "Natural Selection." Harris and Klebold, who planned their rampage for a year, paid homage to their hero, Adolph Hitler by carrying out their killing spree on April 20, Hitler's birthday.



No comments: