Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year! (A Time for Resolutions?)

As the New Year begins we think of renewing things and making resolutions to start other things. As I prayed about this last night I came to the resolve that I want to continue to live for the joy of God's glory and not for my own selfish and small plans. God's plan is so much greater, bigger and glorious!

As I mentioned to many in last newsletter, this last week Maki and I attended a missionary retreat. There we heard some outstanding messages on "All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness for those who keep his commands and testimonies" (Psalm 25:10) Even when we screw up, God's predestined path for us is still good and faithful for those who follow Him. (Rom. 8:28) In fact, God uses our mistakes for His glory and sometimes even allows us to see that glory (especially when we are seeking Him in prayer for this). Because of this, we can live without fear knowing that even the mistakes we will make this year are a path of steadfast love and faithfulness from the Lord, because ALL the paths of the Lord are these for those who keep his commands!

There is no need for regrets or fears if we live this way, therefore I have decided to make at least 2 resolutions for this year (taken from Jonathan Edwards' famous resolutions).

6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.

7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do,
if it were the last hour of my life.


Click here for more of Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions

No comments: