Sunday, July 20, 2008

Memories of Foundations being Laid

Being back in Iowa I am being reminded of many things that I have not thought about or seen or tasted(!) in years. A couple days ago I bought a book of poems that I remembering hearing read to me by my teacher in 1st grade. Of course the poems brought back a lot of memories themselves. It is good to see how the moral of some of these poems set me up to value what I do today and devalue the lesser "kings" that the world tries to set up for us.

Listen to this poem by Shel Silverstein:

The Search
"I went to find the pot of gold
That's waiting where the rainbow ends.
I searched and searched and searched and searched
And searched and searched and then -
There it was, deep in the grass,
Under an old and twisty bough.
It's mine, it's mine, it's mine at last....
What do I search for now?"

No comments: