Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Fundamentalist Scientist

Tim Berra at Actionbioscience.org writes:
"Religious fundamentalists want us to believe that the evolution/creation debate is ostensibly about science for they have a great deal at stake... In short, they reject all scientific knowledge that does not fit their view of the world."

Interesting thoughts. In Berra's eyes I am a "fundamentalist" simply for believing in a Creator. (Sadly, many Bible-believe Christians would join Berra in labeling me "fundy" simply for believing in a "young earth".) In Barrera's eyes I must believe the way I do, since I have so much at stake in the matter.

But if I am wrong, and the Bible does not say what it clearly seems to say, and the universe really is billions of years old, then I do not have to be an atheist. I can still be an "old earth" creationist. I could even join the ranks of Bruce Ware and become a theistic evolutionist (God did evolution). There is ultimately not much at stake for me and my worldview, and eternal outcome, though it certainly would surprise me if I get to heaven and find out that I was wrong.

However, the fundamentalist scientist cannot change his opinion on the age of the earth, or on creation because then they would have to admit that macro-evolution is wrong. Time and time again I have found that secular scientists, "reject all scientific knowledge that does not fit their view of the world." They have much more to lose than me: respect in their field, lots of money, and almost definitely their entire careers as scientists. Now you see the motivation that inundates our culture and media with evolutionary "science".

And that is why the fundamentalist scientist, "wants us to believe that the evolution/creation debate is ostensibly about science for they have a great deal at stake." As Berra gives away, this debate is not chiefly about science, it is about worldview. Everyone has the same scientific data, and there are experts on both sides of the debate. However, some are so blinded by secular, no-creation-possible reasoning that they can no longer see past their evolutionary glasses or allow themselves even to do so.

A caution to Christians: Do not let yourself be taken by popular "science", and the millions of years that go with it, as if there is no driving agenda behind it. I encourage you to get past those set of glasses and study the issue for yourself.

No comments: