Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Why All Scripture is Essential

Sometimes we like to pick our favorite stories in the Bible. Sometimes we hear people say, "I like the God of the New Testament, but not the one in the Old." Other times we hear, "I don't know what to make of the stories in Genesis, but I guess that's not so important anyway."

In response Jesus says, "If you believed in Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"

John Frame comments, "Those writings, Jesus says, are about him, about Jesus. In verse 47, Jesus in effect makes believing Moses's writings a prerequisite for believing in Jesus himself... So the words of Moses have a high importance over a thousand years after they were written."

God's personal word can never become anything less than that. It cannot fail or lose its authority or importance. It is the Word of God, not simply the "words" of God.

No comments: