Monday, November 10, 2014

The "Idolatry" of Missions?

Is the "Idolatry of Missions" really a big problem in our churches today? Do people look up to missionaries and missionary work too much?  Some think so. I think not. In fact, I would guess almost the exact opposite is closer to the truth! There is a severe lack of interest and passion for the nations for whom Christ died! This may be the biggest problem in the church today - A lack of passion for Christ and for His Name to worshiped in all the world.

I'd be curious to hear what you think of this article by Jonathan Trotter, a missionary in Cambodia. He argues that there is "missionary idolatry" rampant in the church and among missionaries today. I have posted my comments already in the comments section. I'd love to have you join me in this discussion, either here or there. One thing I really agreed with: I really hope I never come off as a "super-Christian". I surely am not. I am a very normal Christian, a sheep, just like every other Christian. Perhaps this is what Jonathan is reacting to. Missionaries and missionary senders should have the same focus: Not missionaries themselves but Christ and His gospel of good news for all the nations!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps both are true. Many of those who have moved beyond apathy look at missions at something other, gifted people do in far off lands and not as something we are all called to do in our daily lives wherever God has placed us.

M&M in Japan said...

Definitely. I just think I hear more people talking about their own calling to their own neighborhood to exclusion of the nations rather than the Biblical both/and approach. This seems to be a bigger problem to me. The nations must be reached and then the end will come. Thanks for responding!